Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Up North In The Deep South

Tony and I are heading way up North, to the Deep South today. We've got an unreal estate conference in Atlanta, and we're super-duper excited to be able to hang with Stimpy for a few days. I have only been through Atlanta once before, and I've spent about 12 hours in total there...but I was really impressed with the vibe. I'll have a more complete analysis when I get back. In the meantime, while we're enjoying the Georgia Aquarium, hiking around Stone Mountain and stalking Anderson Cooper, take a look at some of these interesting factoids about the ATL...

1. In 1842, Marthasville, Georgia had just 30 residents.
2. In December of 1847, Marthasville changed its name to Atlanta.
3. Atlanta has the highest elevation of any city east of Denver.
4. The Bank of America Plaza is the tallest building in the United States, outside of New York City and Chicago.
5. Nearly 60 % of the population of Atlanta is African-American, and almost 7% of the city is Latino.
6. At 12.6%, Atlanta has the third highest percentage of Gay and Lesbian couples of any major city in the United States.
7. Atlanta is home to CNN, the CDC and Coca-Cola.
8. Between 2000 and 2006, the Atlanta metro region grew by an astounding 20.5%, making it the fastest growing metro region in the nation.
9. The Georgia Aquarium is the largest aquarium in the world.
10. Stimpy lives in Atlanta.

*Factoids sampled from Wikipedia

5 comments:

Stimpy Stu said...

I do live in Atlanta! I can't wait to see youinz guys. I have to say though, Atlanta is at its peak in the springtime. It rivals the beauty of any other town come April. February? - it's just brown, gray, and icky like everywhere else (except, ahem, Miyami).

Lauren J and Acid Art said...

Let me know what you think about Atlanta. Right now, it's pretty much at the top of potential places to live when I leave NY in Fall 2009. Can't wait to get your take on it.

Flipping Pages said...

wow mind blowing

http://www.book-glutton.blogspot.com

http://www.for-the-fair-sex.blogspot.com

dantallion said...

I love Atlanta - I go semi-regularly on business. The people are always friendly, and the city itself is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to Atlanta for the first time ever, this Friday! They're flying me in for a six hour meeting then flying me right back home so I won't get to see anything. :(